Biolab policy on protection of personal information
General Expectations Related to Patient Confidentiality
· The confidentiality of information regarding services rendered to patients by biolab laboratories will be maintained at all times and will not be discussed with any unauthorized person.
· Confidential information includes all biolab records whether hardcopy of electronic format (such as policies and/or procedures), medical records, laboratory reports, laboratory specimens, financial information or other patient related information available in any medium including written, oral and electronic format.
· Biolab staff will not in any way divulge, copy, print, download, release, review, alter or destroy any confidential information except where:
As required by their job duties and properly authorized by:
- The Laboratory Director for all medical information.
- The management for all non-medical information such as biolab Policies and Procedures, staff records, financial aspects, etc…
- Legally permissible.
- Biolab staff will exercise reasonable caution to prevent any person who does not need access to the information from seeing or overhearing confidential information.
- The extent of the confidentiality commitment by biolab staff shall not only be effective during their active employment status at biolab, but shall carry over indefinitely after their employment seizes, regardless of the reason including resignation.
Biolab staff Confidentiality Agreements
Each staff member will review and sign a Confidentiality Statement of Understanding form. The HR department will provide the form and facilitate getting it signed.
Protected medical information: